Wednesday 24 August 2011

Pride & Prejudice: Ultimate Romance at Chatsworth Part I

It's long overdue, no - hideously overdue...but here it is at last. My blog post (Part 1: The Styling) for the most gorgeous photo shoot ever, held at Chatsworth on 27th July 2011. Before I start, let me tell you that this was a privilege on toast. This was the first time that a photo shoot has been allowed at Chatsworth - and permission came from the Duke himself!  The naffest of statements I know, but this really was a dream come true. Imagine being asked to style a shoot that truly captures the charm and beauty of a royal estate? I was like a starving kid in a sweet shop!

Kay Rotchford, the Business and Events Manager, chose the Pride & Prejudice theme. The story of Lizzie and Darcy is so captivating, and the love between them so tangible, they are the ideal couple to epitomise the romance of Chatsworth.  Coupled with the elegance of the Regency period, this was inspiration to die for.

We opted for a picnic rather than a set table, to utilise the beauty of the garden, and show off some wonderful regency tea ware.  I chose antique lace table cloths instead of picnic blankets, to add extra prettiness. For the picnic scene I chose delicate pink and white china with a gilt trim, and Kings Pattern cutlery. I included lots of little details like regency sugar tongs, a silver punch bowl, filigree dishes and whicker baskets. Courtesy of Emma at Orchis Floral Design, we were also able to display a jelly with a flower head suspended in the centre! Jellies were so popular at that time, and Emma used an antique glass mold for the full effect.  Always looking for extra special touches, I was thrilled with this idea.














I had the time of my life making the favours, name cards, napkin ties and confetti cones for this. Inspired by some exquisite duck egg and soft pink embroidered ribbon, I used these colours throughout. I added tea stain and ivory to lace to the mix, and the results were just gorgeous!









In addition to the picnic, I couldn't resist a 'tea for two' table.  It seemed like a great excuse for a whole load more pretty.  Ivory wrought iron furniture, a lace cloth, duck egg china and hints of gold...









We also included a few other props that conjure up the world of Jane Austen: cameos, lockets, leather bound books, a lace parasol and of course, love letters. I had great fun making the latter. Finding gorgeous old fonts, soaking paper in coffee - then baking it! I bought some antique red sealing wax on eBay too. It had to be the real thing so get that special colour. I knew it was authenitic as it smelt of burning sugar when I melted it, and has the oddest brittle texture. In the absense of a stamp, I simply used the back of a pound coin for my seal. Et voila...a stack of old letters.
















And a Pride & Prejudice shoot just would not have been complete without a horse. It has been a quiet ambition of mine to get photographs of a bride on horseback - I just knew it would look so dreamy. With Chatsworth stables as the back drop, this couldn't have been a better setting.  Of course, it does rather help to have a stunning model, and a rather dashing Mr Darcy to boot. But models and gowns (flowers and make up) come later, so remember to come back for Part II.








Finally, for Part I at least, I come to our dessert table.  This was an absolute treat, and down to the superlative skill of Rachel Edwards.  I gave Rachel the theme, and the colours - and she was off. I knew she would come up with something utterly perfect, and the result surpassed all expectations. Rachel produced a tiered oval cake as the centrepiece, then scattered the table with cupcakes, macaroons, cake pops, cookie pops and jars of sweets.  Just feast your eyes on this:















So, a million thanks to everyone who made this possible.  Jo & Simon of Shoot Lifestyle photography captured everything so beautifully, and got the best out of all our gorgeous models; Charlotte, Harry, Grace, Alicia, Hannah, Melissa and Lewis.  There really is a whole lot more to come in Part II  The hair, the make up (by Emma Buck), the flowers (Orchis) and of course the exquisite dresses (courtesy of Freya Bridal).  Then, believe it or not..there will be Part III. What the Dickens is that all about then?  Ha, you'll have to wait and see!











No comments:

Post a Comment